- Navigate to the site where you want to create the library.
- Click Site Actions, click View All Site Content, and then click Create.
NOTE A site can be significantly modified in appearance and navigation. If you cannot locate an option, such as a command, button, or link, contact your administrator.
- Under Libraries, click Document Library or Form Library.
- In the Name box, type a name for the library. The library name is required.
The name appears at the top of the library page, becomes part of the address for the library page, and appears in navigational elements that help users to find and open the library.
- In the Description box, type a description of the purpose of the library. The description is optional.
The description appears at the top of the library page, underneath the name of the library. If you plan to enable the library to receive content by e-mail, you can add the e-mail address of the library to its description, so that people can easily find it.
- To add a link to this library on the Quick Launch, verify that Yes is selected in the Navigation section.
- In the Document Version History section, click Yes if you want a version, or a backup copy, of a file to be created each time a file is checked into the library.
- In the Document Template section, do one of the following:
Document library Specify the type of file to be used as a template for new files in the document library. The following file types are available by default:
- Microsoft Word 97-2003 document
- Microsoft Excel 97-2003 spreadsheet
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97-2003 presentation
- Microsoft Word document
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
- Microsoft PowerPoint presentation
- Microsoft OneNote 2010 Notebook
- Microsoft SharePoint Designer Web page
- Basic page
- Web Part page
Form library Select the form template that you want to specify as the type of form for all forms in the library.
- Click Create.