IMPORTANT You must be a Site Collection Administrator to create or configure site columns. You must have the Manage Lists permission level to create columns for lists or libraries. By default, site owners have Manage Lists permission.
- You can create column for managed metadata column for lists and libraries, or you can create a site column. Create the column by choosing one of the following procedures:
Create a site column.
To create a site column for managed metadata, follow these steps:
- On the Home page, select Site Contents.
- On the Site Contents page, click Settings.
- Under Web Designer Galleries, click Site columns.
- On the Site Column page, click Create.
- On the New Site Column page, in the Name and Type section, type the name of the column
Create list or library column.
To create a managed metadata column for a list or library, follow these steps:
- Go to the list or library where you want to create the column.
- On the List or Library tab of the ribbon, click List Settings or Library Settings, as appropriate.
- In the Columns section, click Create Column.
- On the Create Column page, in the Name and Type section, type the name of the column.
- In The type of information in this column is section, choose managed metadata.
- In the Group section, select a group for the column or create a group for it.
- In the Additional Column Settings section, type a description and specify whether the value is required. You can also specify whether you want to enforce unique values for the column.
- In the Multiple Value field section, specify whether you want to allow multiple values in the column.
IMPORTANT If you allow multiple values in the column, users won’t be able to sort on this column.
- In the Display format section, specify whether to display only the term label, or to display the term and its full path in the term set hierarchy.
- In the Term Set Settings section, do one of the following:
- To use an existing term set, select Use a managed term set, and then search or browse for the name of the term set. After you select the term set name, you can specify whether to allow users to fill-in values, and set a default value for the column.
- To create a term set for this column, select Customize your term set, and type a description for the term set. Then, click Edit Using Term Set Manager.
A managed metadata column lets you control the information that people can enter into a column. Users select the terms or phrases that they enter in the column from a pre-defined set of managed terms.
The following illustration shows how this works. The document library in the illustration has a managed metadata column called “Discover ECM”. To enter values in the column, a user edits the properties for an item in the library (in this case, the item is a spreadsheet). The name of the managed metadata column, Discover ECM, is the label for a field on the properties page. To see a list of terms, users just click the tags icon.
When you set up a managed metadata column, you can use an existing term set, or you can add a term set specifically for this purpose.