How to create an index
- Go to the list that you want to set an index for.
- On the List tab, click List Settings.
- Under Columns, click Indexed columns.
- Click Create a new index.
- Under Primary column for this index, select a column that you will frequently filter or sort on.
- Click Create.
Note: If you get an error preventing you from creating the index, you may need your administrator to create the index for you. Or, you may need to create the index during the Daily Time Window for Large Queries.
How to enable the Daily Time Window for Large Queries
Creating indices, key filters, or moving items in a large list
If your list has more than 5,000 items, errors may prevent you from creating indices, key filters, or moving items. However, one or more of following will solve this problem:
- Do these tasks during the Daily Time Window for Large Queries. Your administrator can establish this time window. Refer them to the section above entitled, “How to enable the Daily Time Window for Large Queries.”
- Ask your administrator to create indices, key filters, or move items for you.
- Obtain permissions that will allow you to create indices, key filters, and move items without errors and warnings. This essentially means becoming a member of the Administrators group in Windows Server. Note: This is often impractical at large organizations.