After you create folders in the list, you can then move items into those folders.
- On the Site Actions menu, click Site Settings.
- Under Site Administration, click Content and Structure.
Note: This link is unavailable if you do not have the proper permissions, or if you are not using SharePoint Server. (not available in SharePoint Foundation!)
- On the left, click the name of your large list.
Note: If you get an error preventing you from seeing your list here, you may need your administrator to move the items for you. Or, you may need to move the items during the Daily Time Window for Large Queries.
- On the right, click the checkboxes for the items you want to move into folders.
- On the Actions menu, click Move.
- In the Move… dialog, click the plus sign next to your large list, and then click the folder you want to move the items to.
- Click OK.