Before you import, prepare your data
- The top row of your spreadsheet should consist of labels or headers. Each label should describe the contents of the data beneath it.
- Make sure your information is properly separated so that later it can be sorted easily. For example, you may have a column called “Name” that contains the first and last name of a customer. However, you might want to separate that column into two columns, one for “First name” and one for “Last name.”
- A list should not contain any blank rows, blank columns, or empty cells.
How to convert your data in Microsoft Excel into a table
- Click inside the range of data.
- On the Home tab, click Format as Table, and then choose any style.
- Verify that the correct range of cells is selected.
- Make sure the My table has headers check box is selected.
- Click OK.
How to import an Excel spreadsheet
- Close Excel.
- On the Site Actions menu, click More Options.
- On the left, click List.
- Select Import Spreadsheet.
- Click Create.
- Name the list and enter a description.
- Click Browse and then select the spreadsheet you want to import.
- Click Open.
- Click Import.
- If the Excel icon is blinking on the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click the icon, and then click the file name of the file you want to import.
- For Select Range, click the table range.
- Click Import.
Create a list from a spreadsheet in Excel 2010
- Open your spreadsheet in Excel 2010.
- Select your data. On the Home tab, click Format as Table and then choose a table style you like.
- If your data has column headers, click to select My table has headers, and then click OK.
- On the Design tab, click Export, and then click Export Table to SharePoint List.
- For Address, type the URL for the site.
- For Name, type the name you want for the list itself.
- For Description, type a short description.
- Click Next. And then click Finish.