Excel Services in SharePoint Server 2013 is enabled by creating an Excel Services Application service application in Central Administration.
· A domain account is required to run the Excel Services application pool.
· You must be a member of the Farm Administrators group to perform the configuration
Configure the application pool account
For better security, it is recommended that you use a separate domain account to run the Excel Services application pool. Have your domain administrator create a domain account to use in running the Excel Services application pool. No specific domain privileges are required for this account.
Before you can use an account to run an application pool, you must register it as a managed account in SharePoint Server. Use the following procedure to register the account.
To register a managed account
1. On the SharePoint Central Administration website home page, in the left navigation, click Security.
2. On the Security page, under General Security, click Configure managed accounts.
3. On the Managed Accounts page, click Register Managed Account.
4. Type the user name and password of the domain account that you are registering.
5. Optionally, select the Enable automatic password change check box if you want SharePoint Server to manage password changes for this account.
Grant content database access to the managed account
You must also grant access to the SharePoint content database for the account that you will use to run the Excel Services application pool. Use the following procedure for each web application that will be associated with Excel Services.
To grant content database access to the managed account
On a SharePoint Server application server, click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Products, right-click SharePoint 2013 Management Shell, and then click Run as Administrator.
At the Windows PowerShell Command Prompt, type the following (press Enter after each line):
If in the future you add additional content databases, you must rerun these cmdlets to ensure that Excel Services has access to the new databases.
If you have many more databases make sure that you have the below configuration settings in place.
During the initial installation of SharePoint 2013 and defining the accounts, the below permissions are automatically set. When you change the application pool accounts later, you will have to set them yourself!
The Managed Account (Application Pool Account) must be a domain user account.
This account must not be a member of the Administrators group on any computer in the server farm.
This account needs to be a a member of WSS_WPG group on the SP Servers
- This account should be assigned to the SP_DATA_ACCESS role for the content databases.
- This account should be assigned to the SP_DATA_ACCESS role for search database that is associated with the web application.
- This account should be assigned to the WSS_CONTENT_APPLICATION_POOLS role that is associated with the farm configuration database.
- This account should beassigned to the WSS_CONTENT_APPLICATION_POOLS role that is associated with the SharePoint_Admin content database
Start the Excel Calculation Services service
In order to use Excel Services, you must start the Excel Calculation Services service on at least one application server in the farm. Use the following procedure to start the service.
To start the Excel Calculation Services service
1. On the Central Administration home page, in the System Settings section, click Manage services on server.
2. To select the server where you want to start the service, above the Service list, click the Server drop-down list, and then click Change Server and choose the appropriate server.
3. In the Service list, click Start next to Excel Calculation Services.
After the Excel Calculation Services service has been started, the next step is to create an Excel Services service application
Create an Excel Services service application
Use the following procedure to create an Excel Services service application.
To create an Excel Services service application
1. On the Central Administration home page, under Application Management, click Manage service applications.
2. On the Manage Service Applications page, click New, and then click Excel Services Application.
3. In the Name section, type a name for the service application in the text box.
4. Select the Create new application pool option and type a name for the application pool in the text box.
5. Select the Configurable option, and from the drop-down list, select the account that you created to run the application pool.
6. Click OK.